Tuesday, November 09, 2004

Top Ten New Releases - Tuesday, November 9th 2004

1. Neko Case - The Tigers Have Spoken CD
I am really looking forward to the release of this CD, a live recording by Neko Case backed by The Sadies. One of the best shows I have ever seen was about 3 or 4 years ago here at the 3-B Tavern (Bellingham, WA) with Neko & The Sadies (she was actually a bartender at the 3-B a long time ago!). The Sadies started the show with a set of their own tunes, then Neko came on stage and the Sadies backed her for an amazing 90 minute set. The combination of these artists is simply magical - this CD comes with my highest recommendation. I actually did an interview with The Sadies for the upcoming issue of The Continental Magazine, available soon.

2. Glide - Curvature Of The Earth CD
Glide is the ambient/experimental side project of Echo & The Bunnymen guitarist Will Sergeant. This disc has been available for a while from Ochre Records in the UK, but is now being released domestically by SpinArt. I am a big fan of his work outside the Bunnymen and this is probably one of his best works to date.

3. John Waters - A John Waters Christmas CD
This is the time of year that hundreds of new and old Christmas CD's get issued and reissued. Most are packed with the same songs you've heard hundreds of times, with a few feeble attempts to create new holiday classics (I think the last new creations that I'd call "classics" would be "Do They Know It's Christmas" by Band Aid and "Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer" by Elmo & Patsy). I saw this listed on Amazon and I've gotta admit, I'm intrigued. No track listing online yet, but this may be a good one!


4. Queen - On Fire: Live At The Bowl CD
Back in 1986 I was on a trip to Europe with my high school German class. When we were in Munich, we had an evening free and had two choices. Watch the World Cup final in our hotel lobby and watch Germany play in a room full of supporters. If they won there would be a huge party in the streets - a once in a lifetime thing. Or we could go see Queen rock the Olympic stadium. I decided to watch the soccer game...Germany lost and it ended up being a quiet, uneventful evening. In retrospect, I wish I had gone to the Queen concert, but I guess this video is the next best thing.

5. Scissor Sisters - Scissor Sisters Remixed CD
Their debut release, along with Franz Ferdinand's debut, has probably been the CD played most in our house. To cash in on their success they are releasing a full-length disc of remixes. Hopefully these mixes will be respectful to the originals - I hate it when remixes are completely different songs, with only a lyric or two sampled over the top.

6. Saint Etienne - Travel Edition 1990-2005 CD
No track listing for this one, but I have heard enough of their music over the years to give this one a close look.


7. The Specials & Fun Boy Three - Very Best of the Specials & Fun Boy Three CD
This one looks very odd...I think it's a bunch of Specials and Fun Boy Three tunes re-recorded with a couple of original band members, with guest vocals by a Go-Go. Seems like it'll be pretty bad, but I love the Specials so much it might deserve a preview listen.

8.
Before Sunset DVD
My wife and I rented Before Sunrise a couple of months ago, thinking that it would probably end up being kinda cheesy. We just don't go for romantic dramas too much. However, we do like to travel and decided to give it a shot due to the good reviews it's receeived over the years and to the fact that it takes place in Vienna. Before Sunset takes place 9 years later with the same two actors, played by Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy. From what I've heard, this one is better than the first movie and Ethan Hawke isn't as annoying this time.

9. Spend the Holidays With Liberace DVD
A few years ago during a visit to Las Vegas we went to the Liberace museum. I didn't have much of an opinion about him before that visit, but it was really cool seeing his cars, capes, clothes and other memorabilia. I don't think I'd ever listen to his music intentionally, but the idea of having a Liberace Christmas DVD seems perfect for a swanky holiday cocktail party.

10. Roman Candle - The Life Of Bobby Darin Book
I read lots of biographies, but have never found a decent one for Bobby Darin. Now that a movie based on his life is about to come out, it seems as if the market is getting flooded with biographies on his short, but dramatic, life. This one looks to be the best of the bunch - I'll pick it up and write more about it later.

No comments: