Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Star Wars Holiday Special

A while ago, back when eBay first started up, I bought a VHS copy of the Star Wars Holiday Special. At the time I watched about 15 minutes of it, but after endless banter between the wookies in Chewbacca's family, I just couldn't take it anymore (there were no subtitles). Well, I have a couple of kids now and they both like Star Wars, but my wife and I feel they are a bit too young to see all of the movies (we caved and let them watch the original Star Wars, but it'll be a few years before we let them see the more intense Empire Strikes Back). However, I thought the time was perfect to dig out the videotape and watch it from start to finish. Now my wife has threatened to divorce me and the kids won't speak to me. The thing is 90 minutes long! It's got Jefferson Airplane, without Grace Slick. It's got wookies going "whaaargh" at each other. It's got Harvey Korman in drag. The only thing that saves it is Bea Arthur doing a Kurt Weill-esque tune in the cantina....whaaaahhh?!? This clip shows another painful moment - Princess Leah singing about the Wookie Life Day. Sit back and enjoy!

No comments: